Everybody has a few of them. Songs that are a guilty pleasure. It’s not that the artists are not held in high regard, because they are, but these are artists that are generally not in my wheelhouse when it comes to my typical listening habits. This was a list that was suggested by my brother. After much more thought than it should have taken, here are my five favorite guilty pleasure songs.
5. Mr. Big – To Be With You (Atlantic 1991) I’m not really sure why I like this song, but it’s kind of catchy. It’s a typical hair rock ballad, which is probably why there is a soft spot for this song. Also, it reminds me of high school.
4. Duran Duran – Girls On Film (EMI Capital 1981) I suppose Duran Duran as a band is a guilty pleasure. Their lyrics don’t really make sense unless you base song writing on the ability to make verses rhyme. I am a sort-of-proud owner of their greatest hits album, and this is the best song as far as I’m concerned.
3. Bon Jovi – Let It Rock (Mercury 1986) When I was ten years old, we went on summer vacation to some small town that I don’t recall. My grandma bought me this tape from some five and dime store. I played the shit out of the first side, got sick of it and never really listened to it again. I don’t really care for Bon Jovi now, but this song rocks. If you are ever going to play “air key-tar”, the intro to this song is the perfect choice.
2. La Bionda – I Wanna Be Your Lover (Baby Records 1980) Why the hell not? You’ll understand after viewing the video.
1. Billy Ocean – Caribbean Queen No More Love On The Run) (Jive 1984) When you hear this one on the radio, you have to turn it up and sing along. This is not only my favorite guilty pleasure songs, it just might be my go to 80’s song. I can’t explain it, Caribbean Queen is embedded in my soul. ‘Cause we’re sharing the same dream, and our hearts they’ll beat as one…